Monday, May 24, 2010

Hope Kids

I haven't posted for a few days, because I have been super busy trying to get ready for Hope Kids - "Faces of Hope" charity event. I was asked to decorate a table, and at the last minute was asked if I would do two. They wanted me to decorate the table with the kids' interests or hobbies. They also needed to have party favors and thank you cards. Each table sat eight people. I guess for you to understand Hope Kids and why I would be involved with this I would need to tell you a little bit about my family. I don't like getting to personal, but I feel like our family has gone through trials to be able to share them with others. (This will be a really quick version) Six years ago our oldest boy was diagnosed with a rare brain tumor called AT/RT. They gave us a 7% chance of survival. He had surgery to have the tumor removed and went through intense chemo and radiation. The doctors told us it was not genetic (which we were relieved, since I was pregnant with our third child). In September of 2008 our youngest son was diagnosed with the same brain tumor, so they did genetic testing to make sure it wasn't genetic. The tests came back that it was genetic and that our youngest daughter (the one I was pregnant with while going through the first treatment) was carrying the gene, so they wanted her to have an MRI to make sure she didn't have the tumor. It was a 50/50 chance of her not having the tumor. The MRI came back and she did in fact have a tumor. During all of this our youngest son had started his treatments, he went through high-dose chemo, bone marrow transplant and radiation. We started on our daughters treatments two months after our youngest son was diagnosed. The two kids were at the hospital together alot. One month after our youngest daughter was diagnosed and having one round of chemo, she contracted a horrible infection and never recovered, she passed away December 20, 2008. During this time we found out about Hope Kids. They provide HOPE for cancer children and children with life threatening illnesses. They have so many activities for the kids, it really does give them hope in the midst of all the bad things that are happening to them, I was excited to be able to help in a great cause. One of the tables that I decorated was in memory of Caitlynn. She loved pink, being a princess (she was a total princess), having her nails painted, and loved having her hair done beautifully.
I found these cute glass slippers at Zurchers, they added so much to the table.






These are the Thank you cards that I made for each guest at the table.
I added M&M's to each glass shoe for the party favor for each guest. Caitlynn loved M&M's and anything with chocolate.

The second table I decorated was things that my two boys like. My youngest loves dinosaurs and trains, so this is what I did for the party favor for the guests at the table.

My oldest boy loves light sabers, pirates, cars, transformers and light sabers. I put treasure candy bars in the pouch as another party favor for the table.
This is the other table that I decorate with the boys interests.

That's my oldest boy helping with the table. And sneaking a few Swedish fish in between.

Tomorrow I will show you how I made the picture frame box.

We had a great time at the event, they had great supporters and wonderful entertainment. Marti Skold was the M.C. (a locol news anchor) and Jon Schmidt as the guest performer.
You can find more about Hope Kids here and more about our story here, if you don't have a CarePage account you need to set one up, it's for privacy issues. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment